Cavities of the body: want to learn more about it?
Our engaging videos, interactive quizzes, in-depth articles and HD atlas are here to get you top results faster.
What do you prefer to learn with?
“I would honestly say that Kenhub cut my study time in half.”
Kim Bengochea, Regis University, Denver
Cavities of the body
In this study unit you will learn how to:
- Name the main cavities of the body.
- Discover the main contents or features of the body cavities.
We can all agree that learning about the organs of the body is very important, but learning about the anatomical cavities where these organs are situated is just as necessary. The cavities of the body have several functions, which, besides the main function of housing the internal organs, includes shock absorption, compartmentalizing organs and limiting the spread of infections. To discover the main cavities of the body, their location, borders and contents, watch the video below.
Take a quiz
If you watched the video above, you’re surely ready to test yourself with our quizzes and solidify your knowledge on the body cavities, their locations and contents. After that, you can try out our custom quiz for a broader focus on terminology of the body.
|Main cavities of the body||
Dorsal cavity: Cranial cavity, vertebral canal
Ventral cavity: Thoracic cavity, abdominopelvic cavity
|Main contents of body cavities||
Cranial cavity: brain
Vertebral canal: spinal cord
- Mediastinum contents: heart, trachea, esophagus
- Mediastinum divisions: superior, inferior (subdivisions: anterior, middle posterior)
- Pleural cavity: lungs
- Abdominal cavity: gastrointestinal system, kidneys and suprarenal glands
- Pelvic cavity: reproductive organs, urinary bladder, sigmoid colon and rectum